Cake Rusks, a favorite tea time snack of mine n my family’s…. Dipping the crispy rusk in tea is something mostly of us have done when we were kids and still continue to do so.
I tried my own recipe because Cake rusks that i buy from bakery are too sweet for me , so tried my hands on baking them up at home and finally I got around doing so.
They tasted wonderful, as per my family much better than from bakery , even my elder son couldn’t recognized that these are homemade , which is a big complement for me😊.
FIRST WILL MAKE A CAKE
3 eggs ( room temperature)
1 cup =125gm all purpose flour ( maida)
1 teaspoon baking powder
8 tbsp = 1/2 cup granulated white sugar ( then grind it make fine powder) u can use 12 tbsp sugar too
6 tbsp cooking oil
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
Yellow food color few drops /if powder a pinch
1 . Mix flour and baking powder and sieve 3
times and keep a side
2 . Separate egg whites and yolks,
3 . Beat whites till soft peaks forms,
4 .Add yolks beat,
5. Add sugar beat,
6 . Add oil and vanilla essence beat
7. Add color & mix.
8. Now add flour mixed baking powder n fold with wooden spoon, make smooth batter,
9. Now pour in greased and dusted with flour
8 inch square tin.
10. And bake in preheated oven on 170 degrees or mark 3.5 for about 30 – 45 minutes or till toothpick inserted comes out Clean .
11. Now cake is ready for the cake rusks,
12. Remove then cake from tin allow it to Cool completely .
NOW WILL MAKE CAKE RUSKS
Take the cooled cake , cut the cake in half , means you will get two rectangle cake loaves…( see pictorial)
Then cut each cake loaves into 1 inch thick slices. ( see pictorial)
Now arrange the slices on a baking tray, leaving some space between them.
Put the tray into the oven and bake at 100 centigrade for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on rusks , don’t burn them at this stage.
After 10 minutes, take out the tray and flip the rusks to bake the other side for 10 minutes, keep an eye on them.
Each side should be golden brown , they will be soft as came out of oven so don’t worry 😊.
Allow the cake rusks to cool completely.
Once cooled, the rusks will be crunchy and crispy. Store them in airtight container.
Enjoy the cake rusks with hot cup of tea!
1. Keep an eye on the rusks when you bake them . They can take between 10-15 minutes to bake , so be careful they might get burnt.
2.If you think they are turning very dark brown or black, take them out immediately and flip over to bake the other side.
3. Store cooled cake rusks in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for 2 weeks .